One Big Post About Sharks

My favorite animal is sharks, and I have liked them for a long time. I first learned about sharks in a book in kindergarten. Ever since, I would in my spare time try to learn every thing about sharks. When my dad learned my enjoyment of sharks he would by a new season of shark week every time one came out. I remember in 1st grade waking up at 6 am in the morning during weekends to watch and episode on a small portable DVD player. I also enjoyed drawing the sharks from the episodes.

Some facts that I learned is about 440 known species of sharks. Most sharks are salt water sharks are, but there are a few fresh water sharks. An example of a fresh water shark that is a Bull Shark. Most sharks are very camouflaged to be able hunt easily. Sharks’ underbellies are bright to blend into the sun when looking up from the ocean floor. The top of the shark is dark so that when looking down at the ocean floor the top of the shark will blend into the bottom of the ocean.

Finally, sharks are at the top of the food chain in the ocean. Also not all sharks are carnivorous, whale sharks eat small animals called plankton. Next, sharks can smell a drop of blood form over a mile away. Did you know that it is more likely to be struck by lightning than to be bitten by a shark? If you see a shark the safest way to not be attacked by it is to stay still and not to panic. Finally, when sharks are killing prey they thrash body around to kill the animal. When, the sharks are doing this they roll their eyes into the back of their head so that the meat does not get into the shark’s eye. If you have any questions about sharks feel free to ask in the comment section.

Great White.jpg steve mcnicholas via Compfight